開版

Welcome to my blog.
Some of my friends had created their own boards or blogs recently. I gave birth to this blog for convenience and communication, and for some of my good friends who can't meet often( especially those at different universities and those who live on the other side of Pacific Ocean) . Maybe we had contacted with each other through e-mails, phones, MSN, or meetings, while all of them didn't come up frequently. Thus "blog" might be another new kind of tech-product to keep in touch during the contradictory time. And i wish it would work to a certain extent.

A special thing that i found recently is that the sex disproportion of board-owners and bloggers, while most of them are MALEs. And it was in complete agreement with the point at tissue, which i read in Freshman English class, arguing,"
Why, I wondered, would some men find it easier to open up on e-mail? It's a combination of the technology (which they enjoy) and the obliqueness of the written word, just as many men will reveal feelings in drips and drabs while riding in the car or doing something, which they'd never talk about sitting face to face. It's too intense, too bearing-down on them, and once you start you have to keep going. with a computer in between, it's safer.
It was on e-mail, in fact, that I described to Ralph how boys in groups often struggle to get the upper hand whereas girls tend to maintain an appearance of cooperation. And he pointed out that this explained why boys are more likely to be captivated by computers than girls are. Boys are typically motivated by a social structure that says if you don't dominate you will be dominated. Computers, by their nature, balk: you type a perfectly appropriate command and it refuses to do what it should. Many boys and men are incited by this defiance: "I'm going to whip this into line and teach it who's boss! I'll get it to do what I say!" (and if they work hard enough, they always can). Girls and women are more likely to respond, "This thing won't cooperate. Get it away from me!"
( to see the full article, go to
http://www.georgetown.edu/faculty/tannend/newsweek051694.htm)

I'm not pretty sure that whether it truly occured at you males but I agree with her to some extent. Cauze some of my friends was absorbed in the computer world.


Comments

intellidryad said…
Congrats on the opening of your new blog! Happy to have more friends comming into the blogging community.
Saw your blog URL on MSN, thought I'd take a look. And, my am I impressed! I just came in, scrolled down to the first post and started reading, and then I dropped my jew and just went "wow!" You are really kicking ass here. The first 2 are great. I'd say your blog is already full of "food for thought" in it's infancy.

As for the argument in this article, I guess you clearly got the weakness of us guys, yes I admit that we some times are a little like "slaves of computing technology". Maybe I should try to fight that a little?
I don't know, but recently I'm depending less on e-mail and more on phone. E-mail is good when I'm a little shy, or when I don't know if people have time to talk. But by hearing someone's voice, you just feel, well, closer.

Alright, back to the point. You seem to focus more on literiture and stuff on the society. Since, I'm more in the technology and science world, I'm looking foward to gaining more knowledge(on the other world) from your blog.
Keep up the good work!

Oh, and just a note. As a blogger my self, I guess it's a little to keep up the quality of your posts, once the feeling of freshness wears out and you start getting busy at school. Hope you can over come that.
roast said…
well......thanks a lot for ur undeserved compliments.
I just made some comments out of personal feeling,while I did think twice before I posted it up.
As u said the characters of our own blogs, I agree that blog is certainly a place full of personal style so that u can bring ur talents into full play. But what I focus on would not only be literature or society. I have wide interests and I will post any article once something fired my cerebration. You may find it later on.:)
And I'll keep up working at both qulity and quantity of my blog, I promise. But since the blog was "born" by me, it's alive and it may rest sometime.:D
roast said…
by the way, it seems that only u guy expressed the feeling of being with computer. It is brave of u to admit ur weakness. But u should also understand that it was men that fried in their own grease. It is still a world of male chauvinism,though,having been changing slowly. And surely men will feel more pressure than women for building up their social statuses.
it does not mean that being a man is destined to face more pressure. If division of labor between man and woman become fairer and more balanced, many conflits and
contradictions could be avoided.

Popular Posts