Some nice Photos from nytimes
AT THE DEAD SEA, ISRAEL, NOV. 11, 2005 David Samdperil, owner of a special events production company, with his girlfriend Debbie Blumencranz, an interior designer, both from Atlanta. "You can't not ham it up when you have mud all over yourself. The mud is sort of like a spa treatment. It has minerals; it has salts; it's very cold and creamy. You rub it all over your body, you lie in the sun and let it dry. It forms a sort of crust, and then you go in the water with it. You look like an idiot. You become a kid again. You tell jokes, you roll around, and it's O.K. There's nothing deep or profound about it; it's just one of those places where you have a unique experience. If you're in Israel, you have to go to the Dead Sea." As told to Seth Kugel
BUNGEE JUMPING OVER THE NILE, JINGA, UGANDA, APRIL 16, 2006 Jennifer Devereux, 18, of London, who is taking a "gap year" before entering the University of Birmingham: "I had done an overland tour from Cape Town to Nairobi in a converted pickup truck. Along the way I did a sky dive in Namibia that had my mom in fits. She thought that after the sky diving, it was all finished, so I did one more thing to wind her up. Bungee jumping was just like flying, really. Or being about to plummet to your death. My mom and I had an agreement: I couldn't tell her what I was doing until I'd done it. Afterward, I texted her, 'Ooooh, about to do a bungee jump,' left a couple of minutes for her to worry, and then sent a text that said I had done it. She was just relieved I was in one piece. I had a bit of a headache, but that was cured by a beer."
As told to Seth Kugel
You can enjoy more wonderful photos and travel notes here: why we travel(actually the larger popup is better)
Comments