Comfort food Season
It's weird that we can cure homesickness to some extent when we have Chinese or Taiwanese food, whether the food is authentic or not.
Last week I got a box of freshly imported Taiwan food (prepared by mom and carried back by my friend after the spring break.) Then my life turned colorful after having my favorite 草仔粿 and delicious 旗魚鬆. There were also some 北海道馬鈴薯湯圓, 彰化桂圓糕, and pastries from Tainan 順利餅店. The pastries were quiet famous among my friends. I shared half of 金棗糕 and 白雪糕 with the one who brought the box to me and he told me he finished them in less than one day. Most people liked 白雪糕 while I loved 金棗糕 more. However, everything looked fantasitc except for my increasing weights and intermittently stomachache. Since most food are made of sticky rice, I need to control the intake carefully.
This week I switched gears and made pork dishes. I had 粉蒸排骨, 滷豬腳, and 梅干五花肉 during these three days and interestingly I never got tired of the food. I might have some 滷肉飯 tomorrow or defrost the 紅油炒手 purchased from the A&J restaurant. After my stomach gets better, I'll have 豆沙粽 and 草仔粿 for the following days.
When homesickness and the guilty of eating high-calorie food come before you, which one will you pick?
Last week I got a box of freshly imported Taiwan food (prepared by mom and carried back by my friend after the spring break.) Then my life turned colorful after having my favorite 草仔粿 and delicious 旗魚鬆. There were also some 北海道馬鈴薯湯圓, 彰化桂圓糕, and pastries from Tainan 順利餅店. The pastries were quiet famous among my friends. I shared half of 金棗糕 and 白雪糕 with the one who brought the box to me and he told me he finished them in less than one day. Most people liked 白雪糕 while I loved 金棗糕 more. However, everything looked fantasitc except for my increasing weights and intermittently stomachache. Since most food are made of sticky rice, I need to control the intake carefully.
This week I switched gears and made pork dishes. I had 粉蒸排骨, 滷豬腳, and 梅干五花肉 during these three days and interestingly I never got tired of the food. I might have some 滷肉飯 tomorrow or defrost the 紅油炒手 purchased from the A&J restaurant. After my stomach gets better, I'll have 豆沙粽 and 草仔粿 for the following days.
When homesickness and the guilty of eating high-calorie food come before you, which one will you pick?
Comments