Chinese American New Year

I just experienced the busiest week ever in the US. Just imagine how to stuff Chinese New Year, midterm, and daily rehearsals into 5 days. The crazy Chinese New Year's Eve, that I just slept for 3 hours and rushed to the group meeting early in the next morning, drove my liver to the brink of explosion by the time of 11am class. The worst thing was that I couldn't fall asleep later at night due to the stupid bio clock. So I kept working on my 1st version of slides for the paper discussion that would be given in 10 hours. Unfortunately, the second group meeting in the morning took too long that I even edited my slide during the presentation. I wished I could cut myself into pieces, or more accurately, into Chinese part and American part. Since I was suffering seriously from giving Chinese style presentation and playing dumb again in the class.
Not only I but my friends are all living in the hell now. And my left hand is still painful due to the bloody cooking I made on the New Year's Eve. I was going preparing 紅燒栗子雞 while my friend bought me a bag of raw chestnut w/ hard shells because he couldn't find better choices on the shelf. Then 紅燒栗子雞 became 紅燒血栗雞 : I hurt my fingers when cracking the chestnuts and left the kitchen bloody around. The wound ranged from 5mm to 1cm long and 1mm to 5mm deep. I didn't give up, though, I finished my dish on time and moved on to writing some 春聯 for my friends. When I arrived in my friend's house, my hand was still bleeding. I was like a cup of bitter coffee looking for sugar and cream.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Agree! Chinese part: for celebration; American-part: for hardworking.
That was a very exciting and dangerous new year for you...
here we have a very white and cold new year
sometimes I wish we get Chinese new year break here
and hoping that there is a website for me to collect my red envelopes online
hope that you can take it easy this week
Anonymous said…
my mother took the liberty to have our own 對聯 based on yours

善掃家雪是好漢
能清狗"奮"為豪"潔"

I will apologize if you are disturbed by the above wording ;)
roast said…
Haha that's really interesting!
Your mom is so talented!

I just put my friends' name in the 春聯, maybe you could also create you won 對聯 such as 知書達禮xxx or 欣欣向榮xxx :P
Anonymous said…
you still remember my sister's name??"欣欣向榮"
you are icily (icy-ly) amazing!
roast said…
yeah! Since both your names are very special:) your sister's name is the same as a basketball team in tw:P
Anonymous said…
a.. haha
not just basketball, but also some architecture companying, and the companying for making rain coats

also, my parents did name me after 知書達禮, too bad that I am totally opposite from their wish

so are you relaxing a bit now after your exams?
roast said…
Well I think you did; you're just too humble.

My challenge just started. I have two presentations next week. And I just got bad score on my assignment so I need to work harder.

btw I'm quiet homesick now. Sometimes during the class I was daydreaming about walking around the places I'm familiar with in TW.
Anonymous said…
i am super homesick too
today on the train home, I imagined that my mother would take me to eat dumpling and sour and spicy soup after I got home
... it was just a dream

don't you feel that the U.S. education is sometimes over-intense?
roast said…
Ha I don't miss the food actually, I miss the places instead.
I feel I'm gradually detached from the hometown, which makes me very sad recently.

Since I only take 10 units each quarter, I don't really feel over intense on the studies. In Taiwan, we have continuous midterm and final season, which drove many ppl crazy:P
Anonymous said…
i see... just remember to keep your sanity over those assignments!
did you hear abuot the school shooting here? the school is only about an hour away
roast said…
Jeez, that's really scary!!

What went wrong with the shooter? He was supposed to be a normal guy...

Take care and watch for guitar players( I heard he concealed the shotgun in the guitar case lol)
Anonymous said…
I will watch out for that kind of things...
by the way, when is your spring break? (always nice to have something to look forward to)

Popular Posts